According to media reports, the 49-year-old man did not deny the sexual assault charges to his wife; instead, he has stated that he “takes responsibility” for the alleged encounters with a child, which reportedly occurred over the course of a few months.1
A Closer Look at the Sexual Assault Allegations
The man facing the serious allegations at the center of this case reportedly had been an employee of the school district for more than 10 years. While he was as hired in 2006 as a school psychologist to provide counseling to students throughout the school district, he later reportedly served as an assistant principal and then as principal at Pinello Elementary School. He also held the role of assistant director of the district over the past three years.
Additionally, school district records indicate that, when the man was hired in 2006, he passed a background check. To date, his district personnel file doesn’t reveal any history of disciplinary actions.
The following highlights some of the additional details surrounding the case, according to police records and court documents:
- The man is accused of committing a pattern of sexual assault on a child by a person of trust.
- According to the allegations, the man had sexual encounters with the alleged victim approximately 15 times.
- Investigators allegedly found evidence of semen near the boy’s bed. Testing has yet to reveal whether that evidence came from the accused man.
- After the sexual assault allegations became public, the man tendered his resignation to the school district on Thursday, April 7. The resignation won’t be finalized until the district’s school board convenes for its April 20 meeting. District 3 Spokeswoman Samantha Rigs claims the allegations are a “non-school related issue.”
- Around the time of submitting his resignation, the man allegedly told his wife that he “was not going to jail and that she wouldn’t see him again.”
- The following day, officers with CSPD took the man into custody. During the interrogation, the man reportedly denied sexually assaulting the alleged victim.
- On April 8th, the man was booked into El Paso County Jail on $25,000 bond.
It remains to be seen how the accused man will plead in this case. As more news about this case becomes available, we will report the latest updates to you. In the meantime, share your thoughts about these allegations with us on Facebook & Google+.
Contact a Colorado Springs Criminal Defense Attorney at Kohn Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been charged with sexual assault or another criminal offense, contact a Colorado Springs criminal defense attorney at Kohn Law Firm for aggressive, effective defense representation.
You can call us at (719) 328-9555 or by emailing us using the contact form at the top of this page. From our offices in Colorado Springs, we represent clients throughout the Pikes Peak region and Colorado.
1: As reported by The Gazette in April 2016
NEED LEGAL HELP?
Contact Shimon Kohn Now!