When people who are under the legal drinking age of 21 are arrested for driving while under the influence of alcohol (or drugs), they can be charged with Underage Drinking and Driving (UDD) also known as underage DUI. Although the penalties that are associated with underage DUIs (or UDDs) are different than those that are commonly associated with DUIs for people 21 and over, the charges are no less serious, and it will still be critical that the accused has an experienced Colorado Springs DUI attorney defending them so they have optimal chances of favorably resolving their cases.
Underage DUI – The Facts
In this two-part blog series, we will highlight some important facts you should know about underage DUIs in Colorado. If you or a loved one has been charged with a UDD or any DUI charge, contact the Colorado Springs DUI defense lawyers at Kohn Law Firm for the strongest defense in your case.
Underage DUI in Colorado: The Charges.
The severity of charges for underage DUI in Colorado will depend on the accused person’s BAC and whether he has any prior UDD or DUI convictions. Call us for more info.
For underage DUI in Colorado, the accused person’s alleged blood alcohol concentration (BAC) at the time of the arrest – as well as whether he has any prior UDD or DUI convictions on his record – will be pivotal to determining the severity of the charges filed in these cases. Specifically:
- If the underage person’s BAC was between 0.02 and 0.05 and he has no prior alcohol-related convictions on his record, UDD charges will typically be filed. These charges are a Class A traffic infraction, and they can also be filed in the event that a person under 21 years old allegedly possesses an open alcoholic container in his or her vehicle on a public highway (or in a park or right-of-way).
- If a person under 21 years old allegedly had a BAC of 0.02 to 0.05 at the time of his arrest and has a prior alcohol-related criminal conviction, then UDD charges will typically be filed as a Class 2 traffic misdemeanor.
- If a person under 21 allegedly had a BAC of 0.05 or greater at the time of his arrest, then he will likely face standard DUI charges and potential penalties (i.e., the same types of charges as those that would be filed against people who are older than 21 and accused of driving with a BAC of 0.08 or greater).
For our continued discussion regarding penalties for underage drivers accused of DUI in Colorado, look for the upcoming second part of this blog that will be posted soon!
Have you or a loved one been charged with UDD or DUI? If so, the Colorado Springs DUI defense attorneys at Kohn Law Firm are ready to aggressively defend your rights and help you bring your case to a successful resolution. At Kohn Law Firm, we are dedicated to helping each of our clients:
- Navigate the complexities of the criminal justice system
- Minimize the potential negative impacts that UDD and DUI charges can have on them and their families
- Help them protect their freedom and future.
To learn more about how we can help you, set up a free initial consultation with us by calling us at (719) 328-9555 or by emailing us using the contact form at the top of this page.
From our Law office in Colorado Springs, we represent clients throughout the Pikes Peak region and Colorado.
What Our Clients Say…
Karina Gutierrez Ramos
NEED LEGAL HELP?
Contact Us Now!
Choose The Kohn Law Firm. Choose Freedom.
The Criminal defense lawyers at The Kohn Law Firm must have a deep understanding of criminal law, court procedures, and the rules of evidence. They must also possess strong communication and negotiation skills, as well as the ability to think critically and strategically. In addition, your lawyer MUST have years of experience defending similar cases in Colorado.
Finally, your defense lawyer must be able to work under pressure and remain calm and focused in high-stress situations.
Our primary goal is to protect the rights and freedoms of you, our client, and to ensure that you receive the best legal defense possible.
Criminal Defense Lawyers Work For YOU!
Criminal defense attorneys have a wide range of responsibilities, including investigating the charges against their clients, gathering evidence and witnesses, negotiating plea deals with prosecutors, and representing their clients in court. We may also advise their clients on how to navigate the criminal justice system and provide guidance on the potential consequences of various legal strategies.
Above all, we work to secure your freedom, protect your reputation and help to secure a bright future.