Extensive education efforts – From posted signs to commercials and public service announcements, Colorado officials are getting the word out that cops are out in force to arrest drunk drivers over the next week and through the end of Labor Day weekend (i.e., Sept, 7th).
- Increasing roving patrols – While the bulk of the heightened patrols will be out during the evenings of Sept. 4th to Sept 7th, there are currently more DUI patrols on the streets right now. So, be careful!
- DUI checkpoints – Various law enforcement agencies across the state will reportedly be setting up sobriety checkpoints in a number of locations over this next week and upcoming holiday weekend.
While the number of DUI arrests made over last year’s Labor Day enforcement period slightly dropped from those made in 2013, CDOT has pointed out that:
- During last year’s Labor Day DUI crackdown, 1,102 people were arrested for alleged impaired driving.
- About 36 percent of all drunk driving-related deaths that occur in Colorado each year take place over the Labor Day and Memorial Day holiday weekends.
If You Are Stopped for Suspected DUI…
Protect your rights – and avoid complicating the situation – by:
- Being polite to the traffic officer.
- Readily providing the officer with your license and insurance/registration documentation.
- Not admitting to being drunk or having consumed any alcohol.
- Not giving cops more evidence than is necessary – In other words, don’t submit to field sobriety testing if you think you will fail. While it’s up to you whether you submit to BAC testing, be aware that a refusal:
- Will result in an automatic driver’s license suspension
- Could be used against you later (as DUI cases are one of the few cases in which refusing to provide cops with incriminating evidence can be used against people later in court).
- Not resisting arrest and contacting the seasoned Colorado Springs DUI lawyers at Shimon Kohn ASAP if you are arrested for alleged drunk driving.
Contact the Experienced Colorado Springs DUI Lawyers at Kohn Law Firm
Have you or a loved one been arrested for or charged with a DUI? If so, the best Colorado Springs DUI lawyer, Shimon Kohn, id ready to aggressively defend your rights and help you bring your case to a successful resolution. At Kohn Law Firm, we believe that our clients deserve exceptional service, ethical treatment and aggressive representation.
That’s why we are here to help you navigate the complexities of an intricate criminal justice system, minimize the negative impacts on you and your family, and ultimately help you protect your freedom and future.
To learn more about how we can help you, set up a free initial consultation with us by calling us at (719) 328-9555 or by emailing us using the contact form at the top of this page. From our offices in Colorado Springs, we represent clients throughout the Pikes Peak region and Colorado.
NEED LEGAL HELP?
Contact Us Now!