If you or someone you love has been charged with any type of DUI charges and wants the strongest defense in your case, however, it’s time to contact the trusted Colorado Springs DUI defense lawyers at Kohn Law Firm We are skilled at aggressively defending people against drunk driving charges and helping them resolve these cases as favorably and efficiently as possible.
Colorado DUI Myth #1 – I have to submit to field sobriety testing during DUI stops.
Wrong! In the event that you are ever pulled over under the suspicion of DUI:
- Police can request that you participate in field sobriety testing.
- You have the right to refuse such testing.
- Your refusal to submit to field sobriety testing will NOT result in any automatic penalties.
In fact, if you are asked to undergo field sobriety testing, you should:
- Refuse this testing if you think you may “fail” it for any reason – The reason for this is that field sobriety tests are not necessarily consistently administered, and they often set people up for failure. So, don’t give officers more possible evidence against you by submitting to this testing if you think you’ll fail it.
- Be prepared to be asked to submit to blood alcohol content (BAC) testing.
Colorado DUI Myth #2 – Refusing breath or blood tests can’t be used against me if I’m charged with a DUI.
Wrong again! When it comes to BAC testing during DUI stops, here’s what people should be aware of:
- Drivers have the right to refuse to submit to breath and blood tests during DUI stops.
- However, a refusal to undergo this testing will result in an automatic driver’s license suspension (the term of which will depend on whether a person has prior DUI convictions, among other things).
- If the individual in question is ultimately charged with a DUI, his refusal to submit to BAC testing during the DUI stop CAN be used by prosecutors as evidence that this person was trying to hide his intoxication from police during the DUI stop.
For some more essential information about the facts behind common Colorado DUI myths, check out the second and third parts of this blog series that will be published soon.
Colorado Springs DUI Defense Lawyers at Kohn Law Firm
Have you or a loved one been charged with drunk driving? If so, the Colorado Springs DUI defense attorneys at Kohn Law Firm are ready to aggressively defend your rights and help you bring your case to a successful resolution.
To learn more about how we can help you, set up a free initial consultation with us by calling us at (719) 328-9555 or by emailing us using the contact form at the top of this page. From our offices in Colorado Springs, we represent clients throughout the Pikes Peak region and Colorado.
NEED LEGAL HELP?
Contact Shimon Kohn Now!