Additional Facts about Registering as a Colorado Sex Offender
Fact 5 – Failure to register with as Colorado sex offender can be a felony offense.
When people do not comply with their requirements to register as a Colorado sex offender, they WILL face new criminal charges:
- Misdemeanor failure to register charges will generally be filed against people whose original sex offense convictions were for misdemeanor crimes. These will usually be Class 1 misdemeanor charges, which can be punishable by up to 18 months in jail.
- Felony failure to register charges will typically be filed against people whose original sex offense convictions were for felony crimes.
When felony failure to register charges are filed against a person, these charges will either be:
- Class 6 felony charges if a person has no prior failures to register – These charges are punishable by up to 18 months in prison.
- Class 5 felony charges if a person has failed to register in the past – These charges are punishable by up to 3 years in prison.
Fact 6 – Providing false info when registering as a Colorado sex offender can result in failure to register charges.
Simply not showing up to a local law enforcement agency within the required time frames is not the only way that people can get slapped with failure to register charges. In fact, if they fail to provide any of the following information or if any of the following info they provide is false, they can also be charged with failure to register as a Colorado sex offender:
- Their full legal name and all aliases that they go by (If they change their names, they will also be required to reregister under their new legal name)
- All addresses where they reside
- The crime for which they were convicted
- All electronic addresses they communicate with (including emails, instant messaging names, etc.).
Colorado Springs Criminal Defense Lawyers at Kohn Law Firm
Have you or a loved one been charged with failing to register as a sex offender or any crime? If so, the Colorado Springs criminal defense attorneys at Kohn Law Firm are ready to aggressively defend your rights and help you bring your case to a successful resolution.
When you want to trust that you will obtain the best possible outcome to your case, don’t hesitate to contact the Colorado Springs criminal defense lawyers at Kohn Law Firm
Contact Us to Get Your Defense Started Today
To learn more about how we can help you, set up a free initial consultation with us by calling us at (719) 328-9555 or by emailing us using the contact form at the top of this page.
From our offices in Colorado Springs, we represent clients throughout the Pikes Peak region and Colorado.
NEED LEGAL HELP?
Contact Us Now!