According to Shimon Kohn a sex crimes attorney in Colorado Springs indecent exposure, even minor incidents, can have very serious consequences. Even though it may appear to be relatively harmless to expose yourself in public, this is not the case as you may possibly have to deal with criminal charges.
If you have been charged with urinating in public, flashing or even streaking, if you don’t protect your own rights, you can get a criminal conviction which would lead to sex offender registration which is mandatory.
Indecent Exposure Defined
The Colorado Indecent Exposure statute CRS 18-7-301 reads as follows:
If a person is guilty of indecent exposure:
- This is if the person exposes their genitals where another person can view them. This is under the circumstance where this type of conduct is alarming to the other person where the intention is to arouse or satisfy the sexual intent of another person.
- If this persons performs any masturbatory acts in the view of another person where the situation is likely to cause alarm and affront to other person/persons.
There are many actions that are labelled as indecent exposure. Some of them are as follows:
- Urinating in public
- Streaking in public spaces
- Mooning or flashing other persons
- Sunbathing in the nude or topless in the view of others
- Taking nude photos in public spaces
- Indecent Exposure Penalties In Colorado Springs
The penalties for this would be dependent on your personal criminal history. This is a class 1 misdemeanor for first offenders. In this case, the punishment may be as follows:
- $5,000 maximum fine as well as
- 18 months in prison
- Possibility for the addition into the Sex Offender Registry for Colorado
In the event that you have two other convictions for indecent exposure or similar type of offenses, then you may possibly be charged a class 6 felony. The penalties for this are:
- $100,000 maximum fine as well as
- As many as 18 months in prison
Hire An Experienced Indecent Exposure Attorney Today
Hire an experienced criminal attorney in Colorado Springs. Free case review – call anytime!
NEED LEGAL HELP?
Contact Us Now!
NEED LEGAL HELP?
Contact Shimon Kohn Now!