Colorado Springs Misdemeanor Defense Lawyers
Misdemeanors are criminal acts that are legally considered less severe and punished less harshly than felony crimes, which usually involve personal injury to another person. Misdemeanor crimes can be considered victimless and include activity such as:
- Driving under the influence
- Possession of marijuana
- Public intoxication
- Disorderly conduct
- Violation of restraining orders
A misdemeanor charge should not be taken lightly as a conviction could hamper a person’s ability to get a job or keep a professional license; most Colorado convictions cannot be expunged or removed from a person’s criminal record. To help prevent a tarnished future, a defendant may consider retaining a misdemeanors defense attorney.
In Colorado, misdemeanor charges are divided into classes, and punishment is handed out based on the severity of the conduct:
- Class 1: These crimes carry a county jail term of six to 18 months and/or a fine ranging from $500 to $5,000. If the offense is an Extraordinary Risk Crime, meaning that it involves child abuse or injury to another person, the jail term could be extended to two years.
- Class 2: These crimes carry a county jail term of three months to one year and/or a fine ranging from $250 to $1,000.
- Class 3: These crimes carry a maximum county jail term of up to 6 months and/or a fine ranging from $50 to $750.
Misdemeanor Traffic Offenses
Considered criminal matters in Colorado, misdemeanor traffic offenses include speeding in excess of 24 miles per hour, driving without a license and driving without insurance. These charges are divided into two classes. Class 1 charges carry a maximum county jail sentence of one year and a $1,000 fine. For Class 2 charges, the maximum jail sentence is 90 days and a $300 fine. The court may increase fines in certain circumstances, such as when a driver is found speeding in a school zone.
Even if a person avoids jail time and receives a probation sentence, he may have some burdensome conditions attached to that sentence such as:
- Community service
- Random alcohol tests
- Random drug tests
- Driving classes
- Domestic violence classes
- Parenting classes
- Psychological counseling
- Drug and alcohol abuse classes
RETAIN EXPERIENCED AND TRUSTWORTHY LEGAL COUNSEL.
Misdemeanor criminal defense lawyers at The Kohn Law Firm can walk you through the complexities of the law step-by-step and tenaciously advocate for your interests and rights. Book your FREE consultation today at 719-328-9555, after hours at 719-641-6704. Don’t wait. Your defense starts now.