Ending our blog series 6 Facts to Know about DUI Stops, here, we will reveal some final crucial facts to know about these types of traffic stops.
More Crucial Facts You May Want to Know about DUI Stops
Fact 5 – Whether or not you end up having a criminal case, you will have to deal with an administrative DUI case.
This is another, crucial fact about DUI stops to be aware of because few people realize that DUI arrests arising from these traffic stops can actually result in them facing two cases: the criminal DUI case and an administrative DUI case. In fact:
- The two DUI cases are completely independent of each other.
- The administrative DUI case, which is overseen by the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), will be opened of regardless of whether a criminal case even ends up happening (because, for instance, DUI charges are never filed against someone or the DUI charges are later dropped or dismissed).
- The administrative DUI case will be resolved much faster than the criminal DUI case that happens in court, and drivers facing these cases will have to specifically request a hearing to try to defend themselves and retain their driving privileges.
- If drivers don’t request a hearing with the Colorado DMV within days after their arrest, they will lose this opportunity altogether and will face an automatic driver’s license suspension (the term of which will depend on whether the driver has any prior DUI convictions and/or whether chemical testing was refused during the DUI stop).
Fact 6 – After DUI stops lead to arrests, the best way to protect yourself is to contact us.
All of the facts about DUI stops that we’ve highlighted thus far in this blog series are important to know. However, this fact is the single most important one to remember if you ever find yourself in handcuffs after DUI stops.
The reality is that, when DUI stops lead to arrests:
- Dealing with the resulting cases as soon as possible will be crucial to protecting your rights and interests.
- Having an experienced DUI defense attorney – like the Colorado Springs DUI lawyers at Kohn Law Firm – will be crucial to crafting the strongest possible defense case, as well as to obtaining the best possible resolutions to these cases.
Because DUI convictions can lead to harsh, costly penalties – and because some of these penalties may have impacts that can last for years to come, make sure that you have the best defense when facing DUI charges, and contact Kohn Law Firm today.
Colorado Springs DUI Lawyers at Kohn Law Firm
Have you or a loved one been charged with drunk driving? If so, the DUI lawyers at Kohn Law Firm are ready to aggressively defend your rights and help you bring your case to a successful resolution. At Kohn Law Firm, we believe that our clients deserve exceptional service, ethical treatment and aggressive representation.